Excalibur is now hiring a health editor for its 2021-2022 Editorial Board!
This is a fantastic opportunity for students to gain professional experience and build their portfolio. If you are interested in applying (or have any questions), please send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Health Editor Application: [Last Name, First Name] by October 20, 2021.
The positions is paid (an honorarium) and the contract will run from October 2021 to April 2022.
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
– Should have a passion for health, science, and technology
– Practical, tenacious, and ambitious with strong writing skills
– Be able to work within tight deadlines, time management skills
– Excellent communication skills, as much of the job involves interviewing strangers, York faculty, and working in a team environment.
– Previous editing experience is not required, but it is considered an asset
– Pitching a minimum of two health articles to the Editor-in-Chief weekly, except during reading week
– Recruiting volunteers to contribute
– Working with staff writers and volunteers to submit articles
– Researching and writing articles weekly should volunteer writers not sign up, including interviewing relevant sources, and York community members
– Editing articles when volunteers submit them for the health and science section
– Ensuring ethical journalistic standards are met, including factual science-based content
– Keeping up to date with all things health and science, including current issues and studies
– Writing one editorial and one feature per semester